By the 1950's, as an inactive church, the
Meeting House was beginning to become rundown from not being
used or maintained.
The roof was leaking, resulting in
significant damage to the building. The southwest corner was
rotting due to exposure to the weather. Part of the sanctuary
ceiling in that corner was rotted and unsound. A section of the
metal roof on the south side, was partly blown off and draped over the
front gable end of the building. This section of roof,
hanging over the side, swung back and forth wearing an arc
in the clapboards. The arc in the clapboards can still be seen today.
In 1957, the Troy
Conference sold the building to Ruth and Amos Hanson after
attempts to get the Conference to repair the building
Initially they made the
building watertight and insured it. A repair to the
southwest corner of the sanctuary ceiling was made with square
edged boards, which could be seen for many years over the choir
pews. This repair was removed and the beaded board
ceiling blended back in when the sanctuary ceiling was
repaired in 2000.
Soon Ruth Hanson was organizing
Suppers, Sugar on Snow Parties, and eventually rummage sales
as fundraisers to help repair and maintain the Meeting House.
These events became Meeting House traditions that are
still put on today.
Saving the "Old Church" became a passion
of hers that she involved relatives, friends, and the
After the building was stabilized, money
was saved from the suppers and rummage sales for improvements.
Some time in the late 1960's, before 1970,
the sanctuary was re-papered. The old wall paper, a
medium brown with a lacy/scalloped off white border at
the ceiling was removed and replaced with a slightly textured
flax colored paper. The work was done by Ralph Morrison,
a painter from nearby Bristol.
Sometime in the early 1970's
electric lights were put in the Sanctuary
for the first time. Wall lamps were installed on the wall
between the windows to simulate additional kerosene lamps.
The final project that was tackled
during this period of time was to replace
the top part of the steeple, which had been removed in 1957. This
effort would finally be
completed after a Board of Trustees was established to carry
out this big project and to carry on the care of the Meeting